Re: [TowerTalk] Building permit Wichita Kansas

To: K0DAN <k0dan@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building permit Wichita Kansas
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 00:58:16 -0400
This is good advice.

But you will never know what will happen until you ask the building official.

Reading the ordinances can be a bit tricky as some places have
gigantic, elaborate antenna ordinances and then somewhere else they
will exempt amateur radio completely or have a different set of rules
to satisfy PRB-1.  For example, my town's antenna ordinance limits
towers to 80ft, requires a conditional use permit, co-location with
other wireless facilities if possible, free use by the town for public
safety antennas, a public hearing and 20 copies (I think that's what
it was) of all documentation.  All wireless communications facility
must have a fence and other requirements.

That's fine until you go to the definition of what is an antenna and
what is a wireless communications facility.  Turns out that the
definition does not include any towers used exclusively by ham
operators or other residential users (such as CB or TV antennas).
Even the building official had to consult with the town's land use
attorney before they OK'ed my building permit. All I needed was a NJ
UCC building permit and not a zoning permit, conditional use permit,
variance or any other special permission.

Anyway, the long and short of it is YMMV.

Ryan, N2RJ

Ryan A. Jairam,