To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 94, Issue 54
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:08:29 -0400

On 10/27/2010 7:26 AM, Michael W5NIG wrote:
> ...after my last computer crashed and I replaced it and set up all of my
> email accounts I totally
> forgot about this one till yesterday!  Over 1k messages from tower talk!
> lol.  I think I"ll keep the
> last 5 or 10 and let the rest go ;>
>
> I have my old T2X with the terminal strip that was God knows how old when I
> got it, had my friend
> Bob W5FKN rebuild it for me and it was up on the tower for a number of years
> turning a 25ft mast,
> M2 three ele. 40m linear loaded beam and a Force 12 5ba.  Of course I rocked
> it to start (darn wedge brake!)
> and always coasted it to a stop!   Usually twice a year I would climb up
> there and realign the beam to
> proper direction. (never pinned it)
>
> ....replacing some tower sections now and will be a while before I get
> aluminum back up but picked up a used
> prosistel 61 for a REALLY good price, but will keep old trusty in the shed
> for my backup :>
Word of caution if it is one of the older "green" PST-61s.  The top seal
is a weak point with a reinforcement ridge around it that traps water.
The high carbon steel shaft rusts, then grinds up the seal, water gets
in and trashes the bearings.  A simple rubber flange with a slight cone
shape that extends well beyond the ridge, plus packing the recessed area
above the top seal with white lithium grease seems to take care of that.

73

Roger (K8RI)