Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of the Han Series of rotators...Howdoyoutell th

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of the Han Series of rotators...Howdoyoutell the difference.
From: "Brad Pioveson W9FX" <brad@w9fx.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:07:01 -0500
Sorry, Roger, but what you have is a Ham II rotor.  The code on the base of
the unit indicates that it's a Ham M, Series 5, built in 1966 during the
04th week.  The Ham M Series 5 was marketed as the Ham II and was the first
of the CDR rotors to use the 'modern' (three switch) controllers.   This
one, if it is as it came from the factory, will have a cast aluminum ring
gear and a nylon motor pinion gear vs the Ham IV's hardened steel final gear
and brass motor pinion.  It will also have the closer spaced (finer pitch)
serrations for the brake wedge and that early brake wedge, also found in
these units, was ground to a knife-edge.  Those brake wedges tended to break
under heavy twisting moments with gusting winds.  The newer models sport a
brake wedge that's thicker and ground to a flat edge profile.  Also, suspect
that the terminal board you replaced was phenolic vs the newer black
thermoplastic versions.

If this had been a Ham IV rotor, the legend would be H4 plus a manufacturing
date.  I've never seen a Ham V.  As I recall, they are just Ham IV rotors
with a different controller.

73, Brad, W9FX