[TowerTalk] MFJ-269 Question

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ-269 Question
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:04:18 -0700
I've been getting what appear to be erroneous readings on my MFJ-269
impedance analyzer when measuring the input impedance of the elements in
my short vertical array for 160 meters. I've ruled out BC interference
by using the MFJ-731 BC filter. I am also seeing a real resistance
reading (e.g. 250 + j 1000) when measuring a 100pf capacitor at 1.8 MHz.
The reactance magnitude (1000 ohms) is in the ballpark, but the
resistance reading doesn't make sense. Over the weekend I ran through
the calibration procedure that is available from the MFJ website. When I
looked at it on the specA, harmonics looked fine (better than 25dBc at
VHF/UHF and better than 40dBc at HF) and the output level was very flat
from 1.8 MHz up through VHF/UHF. One thing that alarmed me was that I
had to rotate trimpot R72 all the way to its stop to get Vz to full
scale (in this case Vz=FFEh was the best I could do). Similarly for the
steps where Vz was specified to be set for CCCh, I was a little bit
short even when R72 was on the stop. This makes me think that one of the
detector diodes in the bridge might be damaged. I suppose it might also
explain the erroneous real resistance value for the 100pf capacitor
measurement.

Anyone out there have similar problems? I am thinking that this unit
needs to make the trip to Starkville for repair.

Thanks,

Mike W4EF.............