Re: [TowerTalk] Andrew CNT-240-FR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Andrew CNT-240-FR
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 04:59:58 -0400

On 11/2/2010 9:46 PM, K0DAN wrote:
> Hi Gene...
>
> Good stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for short interconnects...provided
> you can get good quality connectors to put on it.
I'm going to repost part of what I did earlier, although it should show
up in a bit.
I've used a lot of CN240, or a lot as in 500 feet.

Given a choice I'd not use CNT 240 for station interconnect cables.
The reason it the stuff it too rigid and the shield wires are too
fragile.  You have to be very careful when installing connectors.  There
are a lot of good connectors and finding them is easy as they are the
same ones that fit RG-8X.

When installing connectors, UHF, N, Crimp, or clamp you have to be very
careful.  Only score the jacket just enough so slight bending will cause
the jacket to separate.  Cut the jacket and the wires will just fall
out.  I's only a light braid on the shield using very fine wires.  It's
the worst shield I've ever worked with.  Compared to 8X CNT-240 makes
very poor interconnect cables.  As I mentioned in the other post, 8X
with foil plus braid is more rugged and more flexible than CNT-240
although it has slightly more loss which should not be a problem on HF.

CNT-240 is a good cable, but not for areas where bending and flexibility
are appreciated.
OTOH If I needed interconnect cables and I had a bunch of CN240 I'd use
it, but using 240 has expanded my vocabulary mightily
Using 240 would be much like the other day I was asked why I used so
many N connectors on HF instead of the UHF connectors.  My answer:
Because I had a bag full of the things so why purchase new UHF
connectors to replace them.

73

Roger (K8RI)