Re: [TowerTalk] Impedance at the Feedpoint

To: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Impedance at the Feedpoint
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 15:47:21 -0700
It is going to have a pretty high impedance, just how high is hard to
predict but the 50ohm swr is likely higher than 10. So an "open wire
feeder" and a matching section is called for.

For something that is an maybe scalable approximation, I just put up a
DX Eng 80m dipole kit with 300 ohm feeder and use it on 80/40/20/17/15
with an LDG Pro II tuner (it tunes everywhere in these bands).  You need
to have a tuner.   I cut the 300 ohm feedline per DXE's recommended odd
multiple of lowest frequency one eigth wave i.e.  for 80m  1,3 or 5 x
30.9' x Vf which for their 300 line is 0.88.  DXE recommends a 1:1 balun
at the end of the 300 ohm, suggesting that tuners handle high Z mismatch
better than low Z.  I did check the Z at that point with an AIM 4170 and
concluded that a 2:1 balun was better in my case (dipole at 70').  A
100ohm impedance seemed to be a better average value across the bands of
interest on the 4170 SWR graph.

Your 160m inverted V will likely be omnidirectional vs the classic
narrowed dipole pattern and gain of "two half waves in phase" when on 80m.

b.t.w. this dipole kit is very well made and a bargain as it includes
the very clever patented end and center insulators, 135' of #14 antenna
wire, SS hardware, and 100' of 300ohm ladder line all for $50.  Compare
that to the other junk dipoles around.  The 160m is ten bucks more.
DXE-WA-135 and DXE-WA-260.  (I have no connection to DXE).

Grant,  KZ1W