Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Adjusting a Gamma Match on a Yagi with an AntennaAn

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Adjusting a Gamma Match on a Yagi with an AntennaAnalyzer
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:18:31 -0600 (CST)
changing the de length has a very, very, tiny effect on f/b and gain... its
only the slight difference in coupling due to the usually small changes in
length that would cause changes to f/b and gain and in most cases you will
never measure that.  try it in an antenna modeler and see how much you can
change the driven element length without affecting the pattern measureably.

Nov 10, 2010 06:28:11 AM, n8de@thepoint.net wrote:

Quoting Bob Alexander
:

> On 11/9/2010 9:38 PM, n8de@thepoint.net wrote:
>> The gamma match itself is an inductor ... you can only cancel that
>> inductance by putting a series capacitor inline with it. IF you do
>> not, changing the length of the driven element will change the
>> APPARENT impedance, but it will still have an inductive (reactive)
>> component.
>>
>> 73
>> Don
>> N8DE
>>
> I have a couple of homebrew 4 el on 3/4 wavelength boom yagis with
> gamma matches. The antennas were designed to have a -j component at the
> feedpoint. Using a gamma match without a capacitor resulted in a
> slightly inductive feedpoint impedance. After shortening each end of
> the DE a 25 dB return loss was measured at the design frequency. No
> inductive component.

And what happened to the resonant frequency and f/b and gain? Any
change to the DE length will affect all three of those!
73
Don
N8DE