Re: [TowerTalk] Weatherproofing unused coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weatherproofing unused coax
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:46:41 -0500
I'm assuming the ends are PL-259's?
There are plastic caps like those used on Phillystran and Yagi element
ends and  Plastic pipe caps. They are available (I've seen them) but
finding such might take a bit of time to find.

One approach would be some PVC water pipe just large enough to fit over
the connector and long enough to reach several inches beyond the connector.
Cement an end cap on the pipe, slip the whole works over the connector
and just tape the other end to the coax. Be thorough enough to make it
water proof.

It'd cost quite a bit more, but you could also make up something using
the electrical compression connectors and then with a short piece of
PVC, end cap, and Female connector, just screw it to the compression
fitting behind the coax connector.  This has the drawback that the
fitting would have to go on before the coax connector in addition to the
cost.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)