Re: [TowerTalk] TX-455 and Ice

To: "'Steve Walters'" <K4IKM@ptd.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TX-455 and Ice
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:38:00 -0600
Steve:

Two years ago (two months from now), we sustained a severe and historic ice
storm here in NW TN (extending into the entire state of KY). I had 2"radial
ice on everything. None of the power poles stood and we were without power
for a week - and we were lucky. My freestanding heavy-duty HDX-572 stood up
to the test fully extended !! The antennas and the 3/8" wall chromolly mast
were bent like twigs. None of that survived. I spent the intervening time
rebuilding things (and planting a new 2nd tower !) and I hope I never EVER
have to see another ice storm again !!

73, Jamie
WB4YDL