Re: [TowerTalk] A3S tribander gone bad

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A3S tribander gone bad
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:56:08 -0600
Rob,

You can use the MFJ-259 as a Dipper. All you need is a 2-3 turn loop
soldered to a connector.

I have the MFJ-269 and have used it many times to determine resonance of L/C
circuits. I have a few different diameter loops soldered to a short piece of
coax. This makes it easier to use by getting the loop away from the
analyzer. The loop provides a good link coupling from the analyzer to the
trap. You will get a dip on the meter at resonance. You can even use a piece
of coax with a connector on one end a test jumper cable. Just clip one end
to the center conductor and wrap it around the coil and attach the other end
to the shield. Crude by effective. Put your link near the end of the coil
under test so it does not change the resonant freq too much.

You should remove the traps and measure them without the antenna elements
attached. The resonant frequency will be slightly different with the
elements attached. Either way, you will get readings close enough to tell if
they are matched and in the right places.

     73's Jim
      W5IFP