Re: [TowerTalk] how to ground crank up tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, grants2@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] how to ground crank up tower?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:30:24 EST

In a message dated 11/16/2010 12:04:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  What's the advice for top to bottom grounding of a crank  up?  A 5
section HDX589 in my case.

    My advice is to ground it at the base just like  any other tower.
Electrically the tower sections are all joined by the cables  so you've got
continuity from top to bottom anyway.

>  Are  some widget connectors available to mate and electrically connect
sections  together with full extension of the tower?

    And how are you proposing to attach them with the  tower extended?

>  Or have a single flexible ground wire such as welding cable to  the top?

    Not needed. Also, you're in the least lightning  prone part of the US
(west coast) - less than 5 lightning days a  year. A lightning protection
system depends on how much time, money and effort  you want to put into it. In
your case, I'm suggesting you don't need to do  much, if anything.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH