Re: [TowerTalk] Tune 160/80 Vertical

To: <n8de@thepoint.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tune 160/80 Vertical
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:27:28 -0800

From: <n8de@thepoint.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:06 PM
To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Cc: <towertalk@contesting.com>

> Or you can remotely tune the cap .. and bend one rotor blade tip so it
> will short out when fully meshed.  Used that on an 80m vertical many
> years ago.
>
> 73
> Don
> N8DE

&&&  superb idea!   Take the last rotor plate, or one rotor plate that is
easy to get to,
and fold a short, perfect 90 deg to it.  Then when fully meshed,  the 90 deg
lip will contact
the mating stator plate...and now the cap is shorted out.   IF  a relay is
used, that relay  will
have to have an open circuit peak V rating, that is greater than the peak V
across the cap, in normal
operation on 160m.  IE:  Xc  x current flowing through it,  x 1.414.

Later... Jim.