Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

To: DJ7WW <dj7ww@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 06:03:08 -0800
DJ7WW wrote:
> A tuner working into a 5:1 mismatch would not improve the antenna and feed
> line loss anyway.
> A tuner is the wrong approach to compensate a bad antenna design.

I go for "bad system design", in the sense that a tuner at the Tx end of
a long transmission line with an antenna with a reactive feedpoint
impedance isn't a good system design.

However, a tuner at the feed (or, a "matching network", if you will)
could be a good design, and might be legitimately working into a 5:1
mismatch, or bigger. Whether such a device should have coax connectors
on input and output and whether one should evaluate it in the context of
"at the transmitter" usage is another story.

For such "at the feed point" matching applications, then the published
test conditions should include typical load Zs.  Just how much loss *is*
there in a SGC tuner at the base of a 9 foot mobile whip?