Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:14:05 +0000
Paul,

The results were a bit of an "eye opener" to me - they've certainly made
me sceptical about tuner loss calculations based on "constant Q" inductors.

I'm pretty confident of their accuracy. They were made with an AIM4170
which I typically find has about 0.2pF of residual output capacitance
that doesn't get taken out in the measurement-plane calibration process.
That amount of capacitance would have no significant effect on these Q
results.

For reference, the inductor I measured was a Multronics 229-202-1 with a
ceramic former:
http://www.cardwellcondenser.com/PAGES/md04g.html

73,
Steve G3TXQ