Re: [TowerTalk] Freezing prop pitch rotor

To: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Freezing prop pitch rotor
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 18:16:23 -0600
Terry,

I have used a Prop Pitch rotor for the past 40 plus years and have always
had slow response during cold weather. It rarely freezes for any duration
here in central Texas, But the rotor thinks it does.

My solution is to crank up the voltage. I use a 24V battery charger
transformer for the rotor power supply. I have a variac on the input and
have a summer and winter setting. In my case approx a 5 volt increase in
cold weather seems to work fine most of the time. I also solved the water
problem by adding a grease zerk on the side of the rotor and inject the gear
box with light weight Lithium automotive chassis grease. I do have my power
supply at the base of the tower and the rotor is about 4 ft off the bottom
with a mast going up the inside of the tower. Makes for easy maintenance and
parts replacement. The motor power leads are only about 3 ft long.

Since your tower is 400 ft away. you may be marginal on power at the rotor
under ideal conditions. It then bogs down under cold weather. If you are
using a 24v supply, an adjustable 36 volt supply just might be in order.

Good luck.

     73's Jim
      W5IFP

http://www.k7nv.com/proppitch/id36.htm

So, first, how do I manage to reduce water ingress?
Second, how do I manage to heat the rotor?   I don't have 120v at the tower
And it is about 400 feet from the house.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9