Re: [TowerTalk] Shipping Companies

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kendrick.w@ca.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shipping Companies
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 17:55:20 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2010 12:01:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I am in the process of purchasing the HDX589MDPL from  K0FF. I will be
picking it up in MO in March. I was wondering what the best  method of
transportation would be to get it from Missouri to California.  Ray, N6RV,
mentioned I should ask here to see if there is a reasonable  shipping
company. Skip, KJ6Y, said I could use a large U Haul flatbed. I  figure
about
two days travel.

    Hauling it yourself can pencil out. Several years  ago I moved the same
type tower from San Jose, CA, to the Seattle area. A  trucking company
quoted me about $2k - I rented a flatbed truck and did it for  about 1/2 that.

    There's a reason why UST uses a trucking company  that picks it up at
the factory and delivers it directly to the customer - too  much handling and
damage otherwise. If you consign it to a shipping company,  there's that
damage potential.

    The trick is that you need handling on both ends  - I think the danged
things weighs about 2000 lbs. (it might be 3000# - it was  a bunch of years
ago) - so you'll need a backhoe, wrecker, crane or something  similar.
Driving it's easy - it's the loading and unloading that's the crux.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH