Re: [TowerTalk] who's "right" (a tuner question)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] who's "right" (a tuner question)
From: jim feldman <mtnredhed@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 23:45:12 -0800
ok, a little more testing.  I set up on 7.230.  I tuned via the noise peak
and then used low power to dial in.  Both the TS-940 and the meter on the
antenna tuner agreed the match was at or near 1:1. Next, I
then disconnected the feed from the transceiver and substituted the mfj-259.
 I dialed the vfo on it to 7.23 (or as close as I could get it to stay) and
the swr needle on the analyzer was by the infinity mark.  I then plugged the
antenna feed line directly into the mfj and got a 2:1 b/w of 7.23 to 7.33
that dipped to 1.7:1 in the middle.

observed: MFJ-259 is ok connected directly to antenna, not ok when feeding
the T match.  I would have to say that local RF sources are not the cause of
the difference.  I also verified that the swr as measured by the
ts-940/tuner was the same at  full power as it was at 7 or so watts.  I'm
not sure why the tuner and the analyzer don't get along.  I am settled on
the fact that the inline meters are likely correct.

The MFJ-259 may be ok for some uses, but driving this T match and antenna
isn't one of them.

jim
w6jmf