[TowerTalk] Splicing Aluminum Wire

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Splicing Aluminum Wire
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 15:46:35 -0800
I've got a Cushcraft R7000 CT2 trap (15 and 17 meter traps) with a
broken coil wire on the 15 meter resonator. The trap coils are wound
with aluminum wire and the wire on the 15 meter resonator broke off at a
point just beyond where the coil wire exits the bottom of the trap
housing. The stub that is left is not long enough to attach to the trap
housing. Previously the end of the coil wire was wrapped around the
bottom edge of the cylindrical trap housing and clamped in place with a
hose clamp, but the wire broke at the bend. My question is how do I make
a reliable splice to this pigtail. Soldering aluminum looks like a major
PITA, so I was thinking of using a crimp lug. Electrical supply outfits
sell ones that are specifically designed for aluminum wire, but they are
made for very large conductors and are too big for this application.
Regular terminal lugs designed for smaller wire (the coil wire is 10
AWG), look like they would work mechanically, but they are typically
made of copper with a tin plating of some sort. I am wondering if one of
these plated copper crimp lugs along with a bit of NoAlox would produce
a reliable connection?

73, Mike W4EF/6