Re: [TowerTalk] With utilities you never know

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] With utilities you never know
From: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:45:34 -0500
> Assume the worst with utilities but never, never dig without calling.
> The danger & costs could be fatal.

Agreed, call DIG-SAFE (or whoever handles it in your area) ... but
don't assume their information is necessarily correct either.

We almost had a very loud boom, here, when the town dug up a portion
of the street that they marked SAFE TO DIG.  Turns out it wasn't.

Fortunately, instead of the loud boom we only heard a very loud
hissing sound, when they nicked the gas line that they thought wasn't
there.

The really annoying thing is, two years later they marked SAFE another
section of pavement that was only about 8 feet from the first one, in
the direction where the gas line went, and dug that one too, even
going well outside the SAFE boundary.  Fortunately they didn't hit the
gas line that time.  People have short memories.

Andy