Re: [TowerTalk] HDx89MDPL winch motor stopped eorking

To: "Robert Harmon" <k6uj@pacbell.net>, "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDx89MDPL winch motor stopped eorking
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:29:51 -0600
I have a Tri-Ex tower which is similar design. The Tri-Ex has a 40:1 gearbox
and things are geared VERY low.

I have been able to hand-rotate the pulley in the absence of AC power to
move things. If you had to lower the entire tower this way it would take a
LONG time (plan on having your next birthday party out at the tower) but it
can be done if all else fails. (This assumes the HD is like the Tri-Ex in
that it has a pull-up + pull-down cable system...I don't know, and please
don't assume on my part...and never expose yourself or your tower to some
free-fall condition!)

I have thought about having a machinist weld some kind of shaft or flange on
my tower's gearbox, as a back-up system in event of loss of AC power, but
have never done so. I believe it would work in a pinch OK with a hand drill
or other back up motor. Be careful.

73

Dan
K0DAN