Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259
From: "Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk)" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:45:05 -0500
On 1/21/2011 4:02 PM, Mark Robinson wrote:
> You really need two soldering irons for the job. A smaller iron to solder
> the inner pin and then a big 100 watt iron to solder the outer jacket.
Just one big one that gets hot fast.  It has to be in and out quick. A
deft touch with the 225 watt Weller will do both the barrel and the
tip.  However when soldering the barrel there is a lot of mass that has
to be heated hot enough for the solder to flow.  The problem usually is
not enough heat instead of too much. If the gun/iron doesn't get hot
enough to melt the solder quickly the barrel gets so hot overall it
melts the dielectric before you can solder the braid.

73

Roger (K8RI)