[TowerTalk] Balun for G5RV

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun for G5RV
From: John Geiger <aa5jg@fidmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:31:50 -0600
I have a G5RV type homebrew dipole that has been up for the past 11 years
and I am now planning on doing some maintainance and replacing the coax and
balun on it, and cleaning and redoing all connections on it.  It has been my
main low band antenna over this time and is currently being used on the
higher bands as well until I get a beam back up.  I have a 20 foot long run
of 300ohm twin lead going to a 4:1 W2AU balun, then to 75ohm coax.  I have
read some reviews of this balun, and many of them are less than
complementary.  I am wondering if a better balun would improve performance.
Does anyone have good balun recommendations for this type of antenna?  Also,
would a 1:1 work just fine also, as the impedance on the twin lead might not
be 300 ohms at the feed end anyways.

73s John AA5JG