[TowerTalk] Underground conduit question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Underground conduit question
From: "Peter Dougherty" <w2irt@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 13:55:03 -0500
Hi all,
Several years ago I had a run of 4" solid white PVC tubing run on a downward
slope from my basement, under the finished portion of my back lawn then
opening out into an un-maintained part of the yard in which my receive loop
and 160 TX antennae are located. All was thought to be well until I realized
that the lower portion (at the base of a large tree and a small embankment)
gets swallowed up by snow and ice after the first storm and stays like that
until spring.

After the lines emerge from the conduit they just run over top of the ground
to their respective antennae. After a coax failure to my loop, I tried
pushing a fish-tape through the conduit in hopes of running a new length of
cable but it became obvious that the inside of this conduit had gotten ice
or muck inside, so I need to wait until spring to try and remedy things.

This now leads to a few much broader questions.
1) Can I do anything to improve the drainage of the existing 4" conduit
(remember, it's already on a downward angle)? Digging up the back yard is
NOT an option.
2) The coax/control-cables lying on the ground will need to be buried. That
ground doesn't slope at all, and it fact undulates slightly. How can I put
in conduit for this run that drains properly and won't allow ice buildup?
3) Does it matter if I use white drainage PVC pipe or grey electric conduit
(all low-voltage)?
4) Anything that I haven't mentioned here that I should consider doing, or
potential gotchas?

Thanks in advance!

73 and Good DX

Peter,
W2IRT

Letter O Manager,
ARRL Incoming 2nd District QSL bureau
Vice President, North Jersey DX Association