Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp-on PL259

To: <nf4l@nf4l.com>, "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp-on PL259
From: "Peter Dougherty" <w2irt@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:39:52 -0500
Mike, I have to say my experiences with crimp-on connectors has ranged from
convenient to catastrophic failure, with the latter being commonplace. I'd
say about 75% of the crimp connectors have failed within the three years
they've been installed, both inside and outside. Once any stress goes on the
cable (just gravity for the most part), it's just been a matter of time
before it fails in my experience. I'm using connectors from The RF
Connection as well as the crimp tool they provided and I use a cable-prep
tool from DX Engineering. This summer all my remaining crimp-on connectors
will be cut off and new solder-type (inside) and clamp-type connectors
(outside) will go on instead. I'm quite intrigued about this new clamp type
and I'd personally like to get more first-hand experiences before
shotgunning out all the existing connectors.

------

 - pjd