[TowerTalk] shut fed tower and rotator

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] shut fed tower and rotator
From: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:25:31 -0800 (PST)
I recently built 2 verticals for 80 and 160 by shuntfeeding my tower.  They
both seem to load nicely and are broadbanded, partly because of an insufficient
radial system.

When I transmit on either 160 or 80 the meter on my rotator controller
deflects.... this makes sense since I'm running rf right through the rotator.
Till now I've run only 100 watts thru the antennas but I'd like to see if the
antennas will handle a KW ok.   I'm wondering if there's any chance of damage
to the rotator (Ham IV) if I do this.   I'd guess not but it makes me a little
nervous.

Currently 10 watts deflects the meter about 10%.  100 watts deflects it about
25%.

Anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks,

Gary Slagel