[TowerTalk] Adding reflector to 40-meter vertical- Update

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adding reflector to 40-meter vertical- Update
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:50:48 EST
Hi Guys,

"Thank You" to everyone who responded to my question last week concerning
the addition of a Reflector element to a temporary 1/4 wave ground mounted
40-meter vertical.  I received several excellent tips ranging from  a
phasing the 2 verticals to simply adding the Reflector as a  parasitic element
without a phasing harness.  I mentioned that I would post  an "Update" after my
experiment was completed... and here's the update:

Since I only had 5 hours before the contest began, I went with the simple
method of "adding a parasitic reflector without a phasing line".   I added
radials to the base of the ground mounted parasitic Reflector,  and connected
the radial/ground system to the saltwater  river via a copper strap.  Since
I was unable to run A/B  comparisons, there is no way to know whether or
not the parasitic reflector  added Gain to the system.  However, it did seem
like I was able to  "run" European stations for considerably longer periods
on Saturday night  with the Reflector than I did the previous night.  Perhaps
band condx  were been better on Saturday night, but on the flip-side-
having worked 500  stations on 40-meters the night before... I had a lot less
stations available  to work on Saturday night with the Reflector.  The main
thing I  noticed with the Reflector added was that the Stateside signals were
down aprx. 10-20dB.  (using a beverage for reference both nights)  It  was a
fun experiment... thanks again for the ideas!

Next time I hope to plan ahead better and phase the two  verticals to get 2
or more directions out of the 2-vertical array.

73,
Dick- K9OM/4
Edgewater, Florida