[TowerTalk] clarification on using a 1/2" drill to turn k2550 winch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] clarification on using a 1/2" drill to turn k2550 winch
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:00:12 -0800
My tower is the LM470 motorized so my use of the electric drill has been for
tilting the tower up and down.

The drill is labeled HEAVY DUTY MILWAUKEE with further labeling of Hammer Drill
Cat #5378-02. It also is labeled 1350/3200 RPM which I think corresponds to a
switch that can be placed on "1" or "2" meaning 1350 or 3200 RPM?

The actual rpm depends on how far back the trigger is pulled. It starts out
very slow maybe 1 revolution in a second or two and speeds up as the trigger is
pulled further back. I don't have any idea of the torque but do know that one
should have a firm grip on the handles (2) and have ones body well balanced to
resist being spun around!!!  The torque required of the drill on the tilt over
use is quite high when the tower is laid over below about 45 degrees.

I do not have to consider that the nut will be turned to loosen as the winch
assembly has a head on the bolt and I just have to go to the other side of the
bolt/winch to turn it cw or ccw.

I have not had to take off the handle because I have used an extension on the
socket to get the
drill far enough away so that the winch handle is not a problem. For use where
there is no bolt head, I would suggest shopping around to get nuts that have
the correct thread size but are thin enough for two to thread on (and lock
together) when the handle is removed. One might also have to shop a bit to get
two bolts of different outward size so that the socket can go over the outer
nut but that is probably not necessary if the two nuts are highly tightened.

I modified the LM470 tilting pulley arrangement by adding an extra pulley on
both ends to get the extra pulley's mechanical advantage. This requires running
the drill longer and so it is easy to lose patience and run the drill faster
but that may heat up the winches clutch so I stop every so often in case it is
warming up.

k7puc