Re: [TowerTalk] Sorry to bring up an oldie - Mast Material

To: "Rick Scott" <w7psk@yahoo.com>, "Towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sorry to bring up an oldie - Mast Material
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 12:31:40 -0700
Here is a neat mast calculator:
http://www.math.niu.edu/KARC/mast/

Plugging in some numbers for 1.5" schedule 20 water pipe:
Safety factor f   2
Wind loading factor k  .004           lb/ft2/mph2
Maximum stress S       30,000      psi
Outside diameter D        1.9     in
Inside diameter d        1.61     in
Total length of mast          8   ft
Height above support h       4      ft
Antenna 1 height h1          4   ft     area a1  6.1       ft2
Antenna 2 height h2             ft     area a2         ft2
Antenna 3 height h3             ft     area a1         ft2

Survival velocity:     63.0 mph
Failure velocity:     89.1 mph
Weight of mast:     21.79 lbs
---------------------------------------
As indicated above, I wouldn't be confident in using Sch 20 water
pipe.  That 30,000 psi yield strength for water pipe is hard to
prove, because water pipe is not specified for structural
purposes. Also, the last time I priced water pipe, I was amazed
to see how expensive it had become.

You are much better off using structural tubing, which has a
specified yield strength.  If you go to a metal supplier and ask
for structural tubing, he should be able to quote you some prices
on various strength material. You will probably have to buy a
20-footer though.  Another thing you can do is to order some
galvanized steel mast from Texas Towers. They will sell you a 10'
piece for $139, and cut off a foot, which makes it UPS-shippable
(at least the last time I did it, in 1978). Their material is
87,000 psi.  Plugging that into the calculator:
---------------------------------------

Safety factor f                2
Wind loading factor k      .004       lb/ft2/mph2
Maximum stress S      87,000       psi
Outside diameter D       2      in
Inside diameter d        1.75     in
Total length of mast          8   ft
Height above support h       4      ft
Antenna 1 height h1       4      ft     area a1   6.1      ft2

Survival velocity:     107.0 mph
Failure velocity:     151.3 mph
Weight of mast:     20.07 lbs

That will definitely work.