Re: [TowerTalk] When to RETIRE from climbing?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] When to RETIRE from climbing?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:58:40 -0400
On 3/17/2011 5:26 PM, Rex Lint wrote:
> This brings up a question for me.  I'm 68 and I decited to quit climbing at
> 55, but then I get pressed into service each field day because I can "screw
> up" a beam between the guywires, and I had to help K0TV put up his 50 ft
> boom 20M stack last year because he can't climb, and I can't get help
> everytime I need it on MY tower, so I climb mine SOLO...  my decision to
> stop has been defeated at least every other month.
>
> What age do YOU think folks should stop climbing?  How about climbing in
> their underwear?

It has little to do directly with age.  It depend on two items. Physical
and mental condition.
If climbing to to the top of a 1000 foot tower in your underwear sounds
like fun it's probably time. <:-))

I climbed regularly until around 67 and still make the occasional climb
if arthritis permits at 70.  unfortunately that's not all that often any
more.

The problem here is very little climbing is done outside of May through
early October so it's very easy to get out of shape (every year). Those
who don't climb much or don't climb very high don't realize one of the
greatest dangers is staying "up there" too long to be able to safely
climb back down.

My wife who is also a ham (General class from the 13wpm days) said no
more climbing for others around 62. It was time the young guys could do
it, but only recently have we picked up a couple younger ones in good
shape with the potential to be tower monkeys.   One is planning on
getting some professional training and is thinking of getting into the
profession.

BTW I had the same problem.  I'd end up some where and see something
that needed doing "up there" or some one would need a little help and
there I was...again. <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)