Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Radials?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Radials?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 02:11:41 -0400
On 3/23/2011 11:01 PM, Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:
> <snip>
> 4. Procedure: dilute a few ounces of muriatic acid 50-50 with water; don't
> breathe the acid fumes and store the muriatic acid outside or you will rust
> every tool in your workshop

Although I agree it's a good idea to store the stuff outside, or some
where safe that it can't freeze, I have two, one gallon jugs of Muriatic
acid on the shelf in my shop and have had for nearly 10 years with no
detrimental effects on nearby steel or aluminum.  When I use the acid
I'm very careful about fumes and cleaning up.  I usually rinse off the
jug after it's closed up tight and make sure the threads are not wet
from acid before closing.

On several occasions I've done etching right in the shop (with the 16'
wide door open)

I've also done Alodining (sp?) in the shop which requires etching the
base metal.

73

Roger (K8RI)