Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question
From: Damon Stewart <wsmc551@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:03:17 -0700
On 3/25/2011 6:08 AM, Larry Libsch wrote:
> All -
>
>       Our club is putting up a new shack. I have been reading Steve
> Morris book "Up the Tower" and would like to emulate his "Single Point
> Ground System." He emphasizes all antenna cable shields and earth
> electrodes should be attached to a common point before the cables enter
> the building. I must be misunderstanding  something . How do I attach my
> coax shield to the outside common point and also attach it to my radio
> inside the shack?
>

>                                   K4KGG,    Larry
Your going to get a lot of answers on this one, but...

I have always run a ground rod for the radio gear as close to the
operating point as possible.  In my present station,  I drilled a 3/4"
hole through the foundation and drove a ground rod in under my desk.  My
radio and Amp tie to this ground.   At the point of feedline entry about
80' away I have another ground rod just below an aluminum plate with
bulkhead N's and SO239's.  The feed though ground has a #4 solid copper
wire buried to tie in to the tower ground's, but I am not able to tie it
back to the radio ground rod at this QTH (I have done so at former QTH's).

Sometimes the best you can do has to be good enough.

Damon Stewart, KJ7E