Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:16:58 EDT
To point out the obvious:

Sometimes temporary guys are attached to temporary anchors and they may be
a lot closer to the tower than the recommended 80% figure for permanent
guys.

This reduces the guy angle and guy length as well as placing more tension
on the guy for a given load. It doesn't have to stretch as much under these
conditions to let a tower lay over.

Might as well use Bungy cords huh?

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/31/2011 8:41:33 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
K7LXC@aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 3/30/2011 8:00:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am curious  how temporary guys could stretch so much to lay  a tower
on
its
side, perhaps the guy anchors were very far  away?   The  Trucker's Hitch
is
great advice, I have used this  knot to for  securing tower or reels of
hardline when transporting them   home.

The problem is that you can   only stretch rope so much by pulling
on it and then you get a 200# climber  on  the tower and that can be enough
stretch them some more.  That's why the  trucker's hitch is so helpful
because it puts a bunch  more tension on the rope.

I've also used a  Klein  Haven rope grip and comealong in the past
to tension rope but  hardly anyone  has one of those. The trucker's hitch
can
be used by  anyone.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC