Re: [TowerTalk] Checking/lubricating pulleys on HDX-5106

To: towertalk@contesting.com, richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Checking/lubricating pulleys on HDX-5106
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 12:26:34 EDT

In a message dated 4/2/2011 10:55:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Several weeks ago I reported hearing popping noises  when
raising my tower, apparently due to the cables or pulleys.
I now  have it tilted over.  The cables look fine, but I am
going to apply  Prelube 6 to them.  The pulley's look fine,
but there is no way to  really test the bearings since they
are under tension.  From reading  TT archives, it appears that
it would be a huge project to detension the  cables just so
I could spin the pulleys.  Can I lubricate them in  place?
With Prelube 6 or "3 in 1" oil?  Any suggestions?

    If this is a modern US Tower, the pulleys have  pressed-in sealed
bearings so there's nothing to lube anyway.

    And it's hard to tell if many of them are not  turning because most of
the pulleys are hidden.

    And yes, replacing the pulleys is a daunting job,  definitely not for
the faint hearted. Personally I wouldn't worry about  it.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
US Tower factory authorized installer