Re: [TowerTalk] RG-6 Source(s) et al.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-6 Source(s) et al.
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 22:06:06 -0400
On 4/6/2011 9:14 PM, k3hx@juno.com wrote:
> The burial grade of RG-6 has a sticky gel impregnating the braid(s.)
>
> Theory being that if the cover is nicked, the gel will ooze out and preclude
> water entry.  I've been told, but have not been able to verify, that the gel
> is also infused with a compound that is foul-tasting to rodents.
>
> You may find this material at hamfests or contact your cabal (sic pun
> intended) company for "spool ends."  If at hamfests, inspect the cable to
> make sure it has the gel and check the spool to see if it has been sitting
> for a long time.
>
> RG-6 takes a different kind of "F" connector than RG-59 as the center
> insulator is larger in diameter.  The connectors you want have a one-piece
> @1/2" long barrel and require the use of a hex-shaped crimping die.

I'd say, Stay away from those like they have the plague.  Compression
fittings work just fine and are much easier to make good connections for
the average person who doesn't crimp the things on for a living.  The
center conductor has nothing to do with the male connector fastened to
the cable be it crimp or compression as the center conductor serves as
the center pin in F connectors.  I've used 6 and 59 interchangeably with
no problems BUT compression connectors need to match the OD of the cable
so they come in various sizes for regular, quad shield, etc...
>    A "round" crimper will not work properly. Hamfests may be a source.  What
> you DO NOT want are "screw-on" RG-6 connectors.  Imagine a steaming pile on
> the ground at the south end of a north-facing bull.  The really good RG-6
> connectors are aluminum and a dull yellow-green color and may have a dab of
> sealant or an "O-ring" inside to improve weather resistance.  Perhaps you can
> beg a few from the cabal company.
>
> Use caution when installing the connector, don't nick the center conductor as
> almost all of them are copper-plated steel.
>
> I've installed many miles of RG-6 and crimped thousands of connectors.

Most cable companies around here are now replacing those old crimp
connectors with the new compression connectors which form a much
stronger mechanical connection that is also water proof.

I do agree with you about the screw on type.

73

Roger (K8RI)