Re: [TowerTalk] Burying RG-59/RG-6 Cables?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Burying RG-59/RG-6 Cables?
From: jpk5lad@cox.net
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:53:08 -0500
Hi Eric ---

In our area, when the cable from the Cable TV folks gets
damaged and you call them for a fix, they come out and lay a
heavy RG-6 cable strung out just on top of the ground until they
can bring the trencher in (in a few days) and bury the replacement
cable.  The temporary they use is quite heavy and around here
they just throw it away.  If your cable company does something
similar, they might just tell you where they plan to take their
trencher next  and it might be closeby.

Also, if you happen to catch them with some left on the roll on the
trencher itself, they might give you an "end of roll" special (free).
The stuff they use around here when they bury it in the trench has
a metallic shield on top of the regular shield to make it rodent
proof.  The critters can't gnaw through that stuff.

Just a couple of suggestions and both come with a zero price tag.

Good luck and 73,
Jim - K5LAD

> I have a need to bury the RG-6 or RG-59 cables from my (proposed)
> receive antennas, as they will be physically located on my neighbor's
> property (I live in the city and the lots are 44 feet wide). Conduit
> is not an option.
>
> What brand/type of cable or techinique for buriel should I use?
> Buryflex is only avaliable in the "RG-213 "style"
>
> 73 & Thanks,
>
> Eric W3DQ
> Washington, DC

Life is like a football ---
It ain't round ... It'll bounce funny on ya.

http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/