Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted V for 160/80 on the same feedline

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted V for 160/80 on the same feedline
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:22:06 -0400
On 4/20/2011 1:53 PM, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:
> This might also be called a Fan dipole.
>
> Can you run 160 and 80 on the same feedline with decent swr?  I have
> tried to model this and have not been very successful.

Yes, it'll work if you get the ends separated far enough. OTOH it's not
a perfect answer as others have pointed out.  It'll work better with a
tuner which you will need anyway unless operating on a very narrow
frequency range on each of those bands.

I use what I would call a fan dipole just on 75 with a 4' spreaders at
the outside ends of the antenna. With both leads the same length it
about doubles the useful bandwidth. OTOH it's still not good enough to
eliminate the need for a tuner.   I'm going to shorten one wire on each
side by about 6" or a foot and see how that affects the band width.
Using two wires  with the 4' spreaders on the ends required shortening
the antenna a good two feet.

I've been, or was using a half sloper on 160 and plan on adding a second
or third wire with 4' spacing between each to see what that will do when
I hook it back up.  Half slopers depend heavily on the individual
installation as to whether they will work well or not.

73

Roger (K8RI)