[TowerTalk] Understanding the 75Ω half wave balun on a T-Match

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Understanding the 75Ω half wave balun on a T-Match
From: Jay Kesterson K0GU <k0gu@verinet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:39:25 -0600
Need to better understand the 75 ohm half wave coax balun on the T-Match
of a yagi. I have a number of M2 V/UHF antennas, from 50 MHz to 432 MHz,
that use RG-6 for the balun. Since RG-6 has a tiny fraction of the power
rating required for a feed line at the UHF freqs I obviously don't
understand how the balun operates. How broad band are these baluns?

After 10 years in the air I recently took down my box of M2 6M7JHV yagis
for a stacking design change. I decided to replace the baluns and will
make my own. One of the old baluns was 6% short according to formula
using the manufacturer's velocity factor spec. Not sure how much
difference that makes in a stacked array?

Info appreciated,

73,  Jay  K0GU