Re: [TowerTalk] Bag concrete question

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, "r miles" <greenacres113@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bag concrete question
From: "Diane & Edward Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 08:35:22 -0400
Hi K9IL,

I don't know if your location experiences frost or not, but if the ground
does, indeed, freeze-up where you are, bank on a hole depth of no less that
4.5-feet, on penalty of the whole affair "heaving" after the onset of just
one winter...

I've had two self-supporting steel towers installed in my lifetime---48-feet
tall---and the prescribed hole-in-the ground for the concrete base is a
4-feet per side, 4.5-feet deep, & with the bottom foot "belled" outward
around the base.

It took about 3, to 3.5 cubic yards of pre-mixed cemet to fill the hole.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ