Re: [TowerTalk] N Connectors fromMax Gain systems

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N Connectors fromMax Gain systems
From: Jay Kesterson K0GU <k0gu@verinet.com>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 19:18:00 -0600
On 5/8/2011 2:09 PM, Bill NY9H wrote:
> looks like these are made in USA,,,,
>

> http://www.androsmfg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=82
>

> wonder is "Andros" is a long lost relative of the HyHain Andros.,  :)
>

> bought some of these years ago, from Universal radio ,  seem to work
> fine.,,,,
>
> bill

All the following is IMO:

   Andros connectors are the ones that taught me to be very careful
about the center conductor length. They were the 3rd brand (I think) I
used of this style of connector. Before using these I just cut the
center conductor length by sight. My fault, of course, for not carefully
measuring the cable as I installed a connector.

   The perhaps worst case for me is LMR-400-UF. The center conductor is
about as large as the connectors can accept. Sometimes the stranded
center conductor wants to fatten out a bit when the dielectric is
removed. I use a center pin that fell out of a connector to test the
size of the center conductor and some times twist the center conductor
in the direction that compress it back to normal size (if that makes any
sense). For me LMR-400 is easy but I have a little more trouble with UF.

73,  Jay  K0GU