Re: [TowerTalk] Long wire - remote tuner - radials

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long wire - remote tuner - radials
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 13:44:50 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:

> the bands where you want to use it, I'd be thinking of an overall length
> on the order of 100 ft, which avoids a high impedance feed point on both
> 80 and 160 (and maybe on 40 as well). The object is to avoid a multiple
> of half waves.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

OTOH, a multiple of a half wave will not be dependent on
radials, if you are radial challenged.  In that case, 130
feet might make sense.  It will be a high impedance on
80 and 40 and low Z on 160.  Use a single 130 foot radial on
160 meters, and minimal radials on 40 and 80 where you
almost don't need any.  You will need to learn about
matching to high impedances and get high voltage components.
An off the shelf tuner probably won't work.

Rick N6RK