Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser vs. ICE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser vs. ICE
From: "Stan Labinsky Jr." <wa2puq@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 12:49:07 -0400
One thing crossed my mind... my one thing of the day ;-)

Since the resistor would be wired in parallel with the clamping device, with
the exception of a possible minuscule spike before the device fires, the
voltage across the resistor would be limited to the clamping potential.

Still, I'd opt for wiring a few... say, 1Meg 1/4 Watt carbon composition
guys in series, might be easier to fit them into the space within the
arrestor's cavity.  Would up the voltage rating too.

As regards the use of a coax tee to add a shunting resistor, not a bad idea,
as long as lot's of coax seal or other water seal is used... good practice
anytime a PL259 is used outdoors.

73, Stan

Hmmm.... there were actually several thoughts... wow!  I wonder if it was
what I had for breakfast...