[TowerTalk] Radiation Hazard !

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radiation Hazard !
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 02:09:28 -0700
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:02:35 +0200
From: F5vjc <foxfive.vjc@gmail.com>
To: TowerTalk@contesting.com

Does anyone know of an online article or other easily read material
suitable for the lay person (Joe public) who is completely against all
visible antennas or masts used for radio transmission on the grounds
of harmful electromagnetic radiation?

Naturally it should present Amateur Radio in a fair and favourable light.

73, Deni
F5VJC

## I use that online software program from, I think it's the University of
Wisconsin.  Just plug in the height, gain of ant, freq, AVERAGE power level,
duty
cycle etc, and it spits out asap, if you are compliant or not.

##  So what's the deal?   Visible ant's are a ...'no-no'   but  hidden  ant's
are ..."ok" .
There have been umpteen thousands  of studies done to date..and not one of them
proves ill effects  if you are compliant.  I have been to several town hall
meetings...and
you should see the crap the public buys  into.  It's all pseudo junk science at
best.
The only way you are going to get cancer is from gamma rays, x-rays, or solar
radiation from
the sun.    You can stick a rat  into a microwave oven and turn it on full
blast for 20 mins..and the
rat will die.....but it didn't die from cancer.   Women are at these town hall
meeting's, in tears, and all
300 x folks in the room get emotional, and wind each other up.

##  I find it amusing that the public is all up in arms  about.."death rays"
from ants..... and cell
tower's  yet  have no problems taking with their cell phones..held right up to
their ear !

## just do a google on evils of radio  tower's and ant's..and you will get an
earful.   I just saw one
the other day that stated .... "ham radio ants  cause cancer"

##  most fed gov's  don't even read the comments from city hall and it's
citizens anymore..they all
end up in the shredder.  Our regulator  just wan't to know if the proposed TX
radio and ant's  is
compliant or not.  No cell co is about to the make a proposal that's not
compliant so it's a moot  point.

##  I have been accused of  everything from .."pumping out death rays, gamma
ray's, you name it".
Property values  will diminish, I will also attract lightning, folks will get
internet drop off's, the sky will
fall in, and life will end as we know it.   I'm amazed at how folks with
university education can buy into this
nonsense.  I live very close to the local university  with 10,000  students and
staff..with profs up and down
my street.   They believe  anything and everything they read on the
internet....it's a real hoot.

##  we even have a local group here in town... " citizens coalition against
electromagnetic RADIATION"
Now the fellow who runs this outfit is a real piece of work..a complete idiot.
 But he seems  to get himself into
the local newspaper once in a while....which just adds  to
his....'credibility'.   He has this small loop ant he built...which
he then plugs into his  Fluke DVM..and goes around  measuring ..'level of
radiation'   from  various cell sites..and telco
sites.  We had a point to point microwave shot from the local telco office to
the local horse race track, just north of me.
It was used in the summer only,  so folks could place live bets   on horse's
from other tacks 75 miles away.   It was just
a big, real time, video and gaming feed.   The local nutcase gets his ix on
page 1 of the paper... outside the fence at work...
"measuring" the levels of the .."death rays"   from our  tiny 12"  diam
microwave dish..which has the sides  built up to
eliminate side lobes, etc.  The thing only runs a fraction of a watt..and is
about as narrow as a search light..and halfway
up the tower.   It's  SHUT OFF 9 x month's  of the year.    I pointed  out to
the local bozo, that the point to point  circuit was in the
'OFF'   mode for the winter...so asked him exactly what he thought he was
measuring.   Too late, he had already made front page
news with his  ..."findings" .   Of course, the public reads this junk
science..and swallows all of it.

###  BTW.. booze is good for you now.....it contains  no trans-fats.

Later... Jim  VE7RF