Re: [TowerTalk] Lexan - Element to mast plate

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lexan - Element to mast plate
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 13:00:42 -0400
On 5/19/2011 9:02 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> A Google search for Lexan specifications will return plenty of info.
>
> Lexan is a GE brand name for polycarbonate material. There are a number of
> manufacturers of the polycarbonate stuff today and readily available
> through  plastics supply companies.
>
> Great stuff, just wish it was less expensive. I need a couple of 4ft square
>   by 1/2" thick pieces for a project and the best price I can find is around
> $400,  ouch!

I used 1/4" X 2" X 4" pieces for center insulators. The Hardware store
used to give them to me as scrap. Now they run a couple bucks each.  So
I just went to using 1/2" X 4 X 6 Plexiglas for the insulator and balun
mount even if I have to laminate two 1/4" thick pieces to get a half
inch. It may eventually deteriorate but it should be good for many
years.   Yes, I could purchase 1/2", but no where near as cheap and no
one locally carries half inch and like wood, steel, and Aluminum angle,
strap, and tube of various sizes, I have far too much which is only in
the way most of the time.

73

Roger (K8RI)