Re: [TowerTalk] Need for a LM470 sheave(pulley)

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need for a LM470 sheave(pulley)
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 02:10:50 -0700
> Press the bearing out and mike the ID, OD, and thickness.  The OD will
> be the same size as the OD of the sheave for in interference/press fit.
> The ID needs to be a slip fit over the shaft which may require polishing
> to get the new bearing to fit.

The last time I replaced the bearings, I just used McMaster Carr.
I believe I used the SAE 841 oil impregnated variants which spec a 0 deg F min
http://www.mcmaster.com/#bronze-sleeve-bearings/=ciyyse

this graphite impregnated specs lower
http://www.mcmaster.com/#bronze-sleeve-bearings/=ciyxmv

plenty of sizes and cheap. ID/OD/Length.

They spec 2000 lb load max for the SAE 841
the SAE 863 has 4000 lb load max

I guess it's an interesting question whether the ones with more iron (higher
load) would wear better.

Top of the line on abrasion resistance seems to be SAE 660 but more expensive.
I suspect the tower OEMs don't use anything better than the low end.

-kevin
ad6z