Re: [TowerTalk] Balanced Line Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balanced Line Question
From: "David Jordan" <Wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:01:26 -0400
Ed,

What are you trying to achieve?  Notice a difference is a bit vague.

One watt in a confined space will increase the temperature of that space.

The coupler will have some loss but why do you care... do you think someone
receiving your signal is going to hear the difference a la advantage if
somehow the old fashioned balance line coupler reduces the power loss by 100
watts?  I really doubt it.  If the balun was consuming 100 watts the case of
the coupler would be very hot to the touch, not just warm.  If the case
shows no heat increase and it is just the balun that shows some warmth the
loss is most likely very low several watts IMHO.

Enjoy,
Dave
Wa3gin