Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn foldover tower hinge pin specifications

To: Daniel Schultz <n8fgv@usa.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn foldover tower hinge pin specifications
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:27:14 -0700
On Line Metals stocks normalized (annealed) 4130 chrome-moly in the
sizes you mention.  Yield strength per ASTM should be 66,000 psi, which
while not Grade 8 yield strength it is far superior (almost 2x) to any
plain stock from your local hardware store.  Once cut or turned to size
you could have it professionally hardened and tempered to 130+ kpsi or
so, if you think the expense is worth it.  My *guess* is the tower
manufacturers would just use a larger diameter pin rather than go to the
trouble and cost of hardening the pin.

O-1 or W-1 drill rod is another choice, somewhat cheaper than 4130 and
available in 1/64" sizes and metric.  Somewhere around 40 kpsi yield,
annealed. A little better than low carbon hot rolled, but should be a
known quality vs random unspec'd import.  Stocked by almost all
metalworking  tool suppliers (MSC, ENCO, McMaster, Travers, etc).
Either can be hardened/tempered to well above 100 kpsi yield.

as always YMMV,

Grant KZ1W