Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu rotors -Length and Gauge of Control CableRecommend

To: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu rotors -Length and Gauge of Control CableRecommended
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:04:26 -0500
Their manual specs "#20 AWG or larger", which doesn't really tell you much,
since they don't say if it's a 20' or 2000' run!

If I was putting in a new 200' run of rotor cable, I'd get something with a
really good exterior (UV/direct burial/etc.) jacket and scale up to #16 or
#18 wire. Remember, you only need to handle current on the motor windings so
they're the only ones that need to be fat. Commercial rotor cable usually
gives you 4 pairs of stranded copper, with one (sometimes two) pair a
heavier gauge.

Also, you can run two lengths of cable and parallel the wires, adding to
redundancy and current handling.

GL es 73

Dan
K0DAN