Re: [TowerTalk] H frame for 10 or 15m

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] H frame for 10 or 15m
From: Jay Kesterson K0GU <k0gu@verinet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:33:07 -0600
On 8/16/2011 6:12 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
> But....
>
> When modeling a vertical stack, it is important to include the ground in
> your model. Free-space modeling does not take advantage of ground
> reflection. X/2X/3X spacing is a standard (where X is the distance from
> ground to the bottom antenna), and seems to give a nice clean pattern.

   The azimuth pattern will be much the same over ground. If you
vertically stack antennas very close together you can see interaction
between the antennas that can degrade the azimuth pattern. Although it
might improve the elevation pattern (the useless lobes that can cause
noise pickup from under the antenna). However if you don't have fairly
flat ground IMO modeling over ground may or may not give you accurate
results unless you have a program that compensates for the local terrain.

> 3 dB seems like an awfully small advantage from the mechanical
> complexity and wind load associated with an H-frame.  Someone also wrote
> that a multi-antenna vertical stack could not produce the desired 10
> degree takeoff angle.  Based on modeling, I don't see why this should be
> so, so long as you have the ability to switch in different combinations
> of antennas.

   The first two sets of number were only two antennas to show the
effects of vertical and horizontal stacking. The third set of number was
the 4 stack.

73,  Jay  K0GU