Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: soldering radials

To: <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: soldering radials
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:00:10 -0400
Jorge,

It has been my experience at this QTH in NJ that soldered connections outdoors
do not do well with solder that contains lead.  Over time the connections all
turn dull and often the solder on a well-soldered joint will crumble over time.

For this reason all my outdoor soldered connections are made with a solder that
is 96 percent tin and 4 percent silver.  It is readily available in the US at
Radio Shack stores.

In your case, you might see if jewelry makers or stores that repair jewelry
have this kind of solder.

I use a DXE radial plate and the ring-shaped connector lugs are soldered as I
have described, and it is a very satisfactory arrangement.

73,

Charles, W2SH