Re: [TowerTalk] Rotating tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotating tower
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:03:24 -0500
* On 2011 18 Aug 19:51 -0500, Art K6XT wrote:
> One issue I see is, there are no torque bars on the tower. All its
> torque is transmitted to the rotator on the ground. K0XG's rings do have
> torque bars but that doesn't help the tower.

Your comment puzzles me a bit as it *is* a rotating tower.  :-)

I have seen K0XG's product up close at Dayton in years past and helped
K0RH raise antennas on his 140' rotating tower made of a microwave tower
of some manufacture.  K0XG had to customize the mounts a bit as I
recall.  The inner rings surround and bolt to the tower legs.  Agreed,
there is no added structure to eliminate the bit of twist that will
occur.  Jim's tower has been up since 2000 and has probably survived
every type of Kansas weather except a direct tornado hit.  He has plenty
of antennas on it.

Do you plan to use Phillistran or EHS for guys?  I know Jim used
Phillistran on his.

73, de Nate >>